Effective October 31, 2008
The University Graduate School is pleased to announce that students submitting their dissertation electronically will pay ProQuest directly (credit card, personal check, or postal money order). It is both easier for the students (because they will not have to provide the University Graduate School with a Bursar receipt) and should also speed processing for the dissertations. (If students choose to pay by personal check or postal money order, please make the check payable to ProQuest LLC. )
In addition, ProQuest’s website has just been updated and is much easier to use. The link has not changed, it is still http://dissertations.umi.com/indiana/.
After submitting and paying their fees to ProQuest, in order for the University Graduate School to award their degrees, students must bring the following to my office:
Acceptance page with the original signatures
2. Abstract with the original signatures
3. Survey of Earned Doctorates
4. I.U. Exit Survey
Similarly, students submitting their dissertation using the traditional method (unbound and bound copies) will pay ProQuest via the University Graduate School by attaching a personal check or postal money order to the Dissertation Submission form; payable to ProQuest LLC). Again, this is easier for the students (because they will not have to provide the University Graduate School with a Bursar receipt) and should also speed processing for the dissertations.
In order for the University Graduate School to award their degrees, students submitting their dissertation using the traditional method must bring the following to my office:
1. One (1) unbound dissertation printed on 8-1/2” x 11, 100% cotton, watermarked, at least 20 lb. paper. This MUST be in a box approximately 9 inches by 11-1/2 inches in size.
2. Two (2) bound dissertations. (The University Graduate School must receive the bound copies before your degree will be awarded.)
a. One copy for the library (printed on 8-1/2” x 11, 100% cotton, watermarked, at least 20 lb. paper).
b. One copy for your department (only if required by your department; please check with your department to see if they require a bound dissertation and if yes, please ask if they have paper type requirements for their bound copy of your dissertation).
3. Acceptance page (signed - mandatory). Please see: http://www.indiana.edu/~grdschl/thesisGuide.php#D/ . Place this page in your unbound dissertation (follows the Title page).
NOTE: Because the original signed copy of the Acceptance Page must be placed in your unbound dissertation, it must be on the cotton paper, but you may use photocopies of this document for any other bound volumes.
4. Abstract (signed - mandatory). Please see: http://www.indiana.edu/~grdschl/thesisGuide.php#G . (This document is retained at the University Graduate School.)
5. *UMI Publishing Agreement (completed and signed).
6. *Dissertation Submission Form (microfilming - completed).
a. Please attach an extra Title page and abstract.
b. Also, please attach a personal check or a postal money order payable to ProQuest LLC for the microfilming fee - $65 (mandatory), copyright fee - $65 (if you plan to copyright your dissertation), and the Open Access fee - $95 (if this publishing option is selected).
7. *Copyright Registration Form (completed and signed). (Submit only if you plan to copyright your dissertation).
8. Survey of Earned Doctorates (completed).
9. University Graduate School’s Exit Survey (completed and signed). This survey is available at only the University Graduate School.
*Download these forms from: http://www.etdadmin.com/dissertation_publishing_agreement.pdf.
If the students need assistance with the electronic submission, please contact ProQuest/UMI by phone at (800) 521-0600 ext. 7020 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Guide to the Preparation of Theses and Dissertations will be updated by the end of this week.